API Star + DynamoDB / NoSQL database?

I understand that API Star can use the django ORM but it seems that it cannot support NoSQL databases.
I would like to use DynamoDB as a database for API Star, I’ve found PynamoDB that can be helpful, but I’m not sure this can be used with API star in some way.

Anyone have used API Star + DynamoDB or other NoSQL databases?

p.s. I’m planning to deploy api star with zappa

you could always make your own third party extension apistar-dynamodb or something similar, you can look at how the integrations with SQLAlchemy and Django’s ORM were done and utilize PynamoDB as you stated above to implement it.

Thanks for the reply,
I cannot just create a db-related file and load it when I need to update/create documents?
or this approach is inefficient and will not work correctly with zappa?

No idea sorry :frowning:

I would create a component and inject that into your views. It worked for me with mongodb, so I would image it would work for you.

Can you please show me an example? mongodb is also fine

p.s. Are you running api star with zappa?

First, I am not running api star with zappa, but I think this might work.
My code looks like this.

from pymongo import MongoClient
from apistar.types import Settings
from bson import ObjectId

class Database(Component):
    def __init__(self, uri):
        self._db = MongoClient(uri).get_default_database()

def get_thing_by_id(self,id):
        return self._db.things.find_one({

def init_database(settings: Settings):
    return Database(settings['MONGO_URI'])

from apistar import Include, Route, Component
from apistar.frameworks.wsgi import WSGIApp as App
from apistar.handlers import docs_urls
from database import Database, init_database

def get_thing(id:str, db:Database):
    The view that is interacting with the database
    return db.get_thing_by_id(id)

settings = {
    'MONGO_URI': 'mongodb://localhost:27017/InvestmentClubManager',

components = [
    Component(Database, init=init_database, preload=True)

routes = [
    Route('/things/{id}', 'GET', get_thing),
    Include('/docs', docs_urls)

app = App(

if __name__ == '__main__':

It should be easy to convert this pattern to DynamoDB (although I have not looked at the docs).
Hope this helps!

Thank you VERY much for this code snippet, this is what I was looking for!

Actually mongodb is fine, the only issue could be w/ zappa/lambda, I will do some tests and maybe update the thread.

Thanks again

I currently have API* on serverless/zappa with DynamoDB in production. Basically i use boto3, so nothing fancy. I would be glad to spin up a library for this.

Any chance you could share an example of how you’re using dynamodb with Apistar?

I think the way i do it is quite simple, hence i do not utilize the models functionality in any way whatsoever. I basically utilize boto3 directly and do the writing to the DB through this channel. This can be done much better and i would be more than glad to jump into constructing a component/helper function to utilize this much more ideally in api*

If anyone is interested, it could be interesting to build a plugin or component with DynamoDB that is compatible with apistar typesystem.

Dataset works with Apistar and you dont even need a component,plugin,etc. Works as nosql with postgres.